NEWS FLASH! "Conover clobbers Steinway !"

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 5 Feb 2006 08:53:12 -0500

----- Original Message ----- =20
> Thanks for the post.  I wont pretend to know one way or the other for=20
> sure mind you. =20

Well, we certianly have that in common!

> But it does strike me that as a consequence of=20
> compensating for anisotropism that both the bending stiffness and =
speed=20
> of sound in both directions are evened out. Since it is sound (waves)  =

> traveling through that actually causes whatever vibrational motion=20
> soundboard displays....

And this is the heart of my question. Do sound waves travel through =
soundboard wood (in any meaningful way) or does the soundboard assembly =
act primarily as a diaphragm whose vibration is caused by the vibrating =
bridge, which in turn is caused by the vibrating string. That is the way =
I've always pictured it. And hence my "circle of sound" comments.

I know a soundboard is not a speaker - but how different is it? A stereo =
speaker does not rely on soundwave transmission through the cone =
material - but rather it is simply driven by the coil and magnet and =
electic current. Is not the soundboard simply driven in a similar way by =
the strings/bridges?

> its strikes me that speed of sound in all=20
> directions is an intregral part of that motion.=20
>=20
> Be that as it may... lets just agree on the exact quote from Wogram =
and=20
> get back to the main question I had.  He said
>=20
>    "From the measurements it can be concluded that the two most
>    important functions of the ribs are to stiffen the soundboard and =
>    compensate for the differences in bending stiffness parallel to and
>    across the grain (anisotropism). The bending stiffness exerts a
>    greater influence than the mass. For this reason it is more
>    advantageous to use narrow, high ribs than ribs with a low and wide
>    section."
>=20
> What I'm thinking about is that in principle achieving equal bending=20
> stiffness in both directions is in itself an independant objective =
from=20
> supporting crown. However  In boards that have the grain going in the=20
> same direction as the bridge these two requirements must be balanced=20
> against one another.... perhaps even to some degree are at odds with =
one=20
> another ? =20

I'm not sure that is true. Keep in mind that I am thinking of a rib =
supported and crowned soundboard system.

> On the other hand.. if you built a soundboard with grain=20
> going perpendicular to the bridge and were able to establish enough=20
> crown support along the grain by way of cauled laminants all going in=20
> the same direction,  then ribbing across grain could be used =
exclusivly=20
> to equalize bending stiffness.
>=20
> It strikes me that the soundboard needs crown support more in the=20
> direction perpendicular to the bridge then paralell to it.

My suspicion is that you could do it either way - it is done =
perpendicular to the bridge because it is simply quite a bit easier and =
effective to span that shorter distance (perpendicular to long bridge) =
with a number of ribs rather than spanning the lenght of the the bridge =
with fewer ribs.

Terry Farrell