Soundboard Resonces and the Wogram Article

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sat, 4 Feb 2006 09:30:27 -0800

http://www.speech.kth.se/music/5_lectures/wogram/ribbing.html

After reading the Wogram article, in particular the part on soundboard
resonances, I'd be curious to hear from soundboard designers how this
relates to the construction of bass cut-offs. From a purely empirical point
of view, the bass cutoff (and there may be other factors but let's leave it
at this single issue for the moment) seems to make the tone much cleaner,
purer, if you will.  After looking at the digrams of modal analysis and
wondering about the distortions in the bass corner that appear, I can only
imagine that with a full bass cutoff, those diagrams would be somewhat
different, more uniform, less chaotic.  But my question has more to do with
what the consequence are for the overall tonal impression of the piano
between the two systems.  If the board without the cutoff gives rise to some
more random pattern of resonances, might not that translate to a somewhat
more random or, expressed differently, more complex sounding tone in the
piano.  While controlling random resonances on the surface of it seems like
a good thing, might it not have the effect of making the piano, to some
ears, sound somewhat too pure or somewhat more sterile.  Now I'm not
suggesting that's the case, btw, I'm just wondering if I'm reading these
diagrams correctly and what this means in terms of the choices about to
cutoff or not to cutoff.