Bluthner Tuning (long-winded rehash of unison tuning)

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Fri, 03 Feb 2006 17:06:06 -0800

At 04:30 PM 2/3/2006 -0800, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>At 04:12 PM 2/3/2006, you wrote:
>
>>>Also, I know specifically of one major contemporary venue in which this
>>>was done to the primary concert instrument...no, the technician who did
>>>it is no longer employed there.
>>
>>Ready for a different sort of institution, I would guess ... well, there
>>is more than one way to tell an employer to "take this job and shove it."
>
>Actually, both the venue and the technician involved are exceptionally
>well-known...recordings of broadcast concerts abound.
>
>This was one of those times when someone went forward with what some in
>the profession consider to be "advanced" work without checking with anyone
>in charge...most often, this kind of problem has to do with actions and
>desperately poorly understood and executed applications of David
>Stanwood's work and theories, but not always.  In this case, the person
>involved decided that the instrument in question had a "weak" board and
>that the bridges were "not properly notched", resulting in any number of
>real and imagined problems.  So, the solution, in that person's mind was
>to create an instrument which truly would have an "una corda"...and so it
>goes....
>
>Best.
>
>Horace

Maybe something in the water?

He could have done it by taking off only one string in the treble and
tenor, and setting the shift right.

But that wasn't daring enough?

(If you take off ALL the strings, you've permanently ended any chance of
breaking wire ...)

Susan