Bluthner Tuning (long-winded rehash of unison tuning)

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Fri, 03 Feb 2006 16:30:17 -0800

Hi,

At 04:12 PM 2/3/2006, you wrote:

>>Also, I know specifically of one major contemporary venue in which
>>this was done to the primary concert instrument...no, the
>>technician who did it is no longer employed there.
>
>Ready for a different sort of institution, I would guess ... well,
>there is more than one way to tell an employer to "take this job and shove it."

Actually, both the venue and the technician involved are
exceptionally well-known...recordings of broadcast concerts abound.

This was one of those times when someone went forward with what some
in the profession consider to be "advanced" work without checking
with anyone in charge...most often, this kind of problem has to do
with actions and desperately poorly understood and executed
applications of David Stanwood's work and theories, but not
always.  In this case, the person involved decided that the
instrument in question had a "weak" board and that the bridges were
"not properly notched", resulting in any number of real and imagined
problems.  So, the solution, in that person's mind was to create an
instrument which truly would have an "una corda"...and so it goes....

Best.

Horace