deep in the unison, (was Bluthner something)

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Fri, 3 Feb 2006 19:50:39 EST

Mark writes:

<<  With all  due respect, I think the analogy to a swing is not quite
perfectly

applicable,

         Agreed, it is not perfectly applicable.  At least, not perfect in
the sense of a mathematical model.

>>     If the swing's period is 5.0 seconds, and you always apply your push
.1

seconds after the swing has changed directions, so that you are adding

force in the same direction the swing is now travelling (this is what I

think you meant), then the period of your push is also 5.0 seconds, not

5.1 as you suggested. Your push is slightly, but consistently, late, or

out of phase, and therefore is simply adding amplitude, as to a pendulum.<<

>>    If instead you actually did time your pushes to 5.1 seconds, with each

successive cycle you would get .1 seconds further behind the 5.0 second

phase of the swing, until you were actually colliding with the swing

coming at you from the opposite direction. Where at first you had been

adding amplitude, this would gradually change until you were acting

against and cancelling out the opposing force.

     There is a distinct difference in a pendulum that is free and one that
is driven. ( I am too far removed from the physics courses to exactly explain
the differences).  What I remember is that the pushed pendulum steadily
increases its speed AND amplitude, so the 'collision' would be farther down the line
than the simple timing of the two factors would indicate.  Even so,  the
collision would only happen once, and then the cycle would begin anew. As soon as
the swing crossed the line and met the push, it would be reset to its original
timing and the push would once again be in phase.
     Not sure what the hell that has to do with Bluthners, but coupled string
behaviour is not so well understood that we shouldn't continue to kick the
possibilities around.  Sooner or later, somebody with an engineering or physics
background will stroll out onto this playground and paint the lines for us.
    It may be my own imagination, (rogue scoundrel that it has shown itself
to be), but when I tune two strings of a unison as exact as possible, and then
tune the remaining string slightly sharp,  it seems that the sound has less
power and sustain than when the third string is slightly flat.  I am talking
about the least amount necessary to cause the SAT to indicate direction.  There
is no beating, but I swear I hear a different sound.
Could others please try this and let  us know if the effect is real or
imagined to them?

>> I think we can agree that when one string is slightly out

of tune with another, the rate of the beat that results exactly equals

the difference in their frequencies, and this brings me to my main

point: I have never been able to detect any kind of locking, coupling,

or accomodation of one string to another, and believe me, I've tried, tuning.

and I wish I could.  <<

        I have found that all three strings can be so close together that the
unison sounds dead, and I don't hear that 'aftersound'.  Move one of them the
smallest amount possible and the unison seems to fill out and last longer.
Is this caused by there being a beat that is twice as long as the audible
sustain, so we only hear half of it before there is a collision between the push
and the swing?  I dunno.  I know that organ pipes draw frequencies together if
the pipes are close enough to be air coupled.  Sails on sailboats certainly
affect one another by the coupling of their laminar frequencies.  (angry people
can make those around them angry, etc).
I am not ready to say that one string's behaviour doesn't have any effect on
its neighbor.

>> And here's one point: it is in

manipulating the rise time of this beat that we are able to create the

illusion that the decay time of the note has been increased.<<

<snip>  We can no more make the note last longer than the

input energy through the string-bridge-board-air makes possible, than we

can make water flow uphill.>>

        I can't quite go that far.  I think that what we hear is a result of
the efficiency of the system, and the frequencies must certainly have
something to do with that.  I also don't know how to tell the difference between the
illusion of increased decay time and what is actually there.  Seems like if it
sounds like it is sustaining longer, it is.
    Anyone else wandered around in this thicket??
Regards,

Ed Foote