Bluthner Tuning (long-winded rehash of unison tuning)

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Fri, 03 Feb 2006 15:57:40 -0800

Hi,

Comments interspersed:

At 02:37 PM 2/3/2006, you wrote:
>At 10:59 PM 2/3/2006 +0100, you wrote:
>>I dunno Susan... :)
>>
>>... just seems to me like if you want to make
>>sure you know what (if any) effect the 4th
>>string has on sustain for the regular unison
>>strings you probably should just remove
>>it.  Damping it certainly inhibits any
>><<feedback>> the 4th string might have but it
>>doesnt stop the initial bleed off of energy
>>from the unison. Just seems most likely you should remove them...
>>
>>Cheers
>>RicB
>
>------------------
>
>Well, yes but ...

and...:

>I presume that the question we first asked each
>other was whether the fourth string aided
>sustain compared to a piano designed and built
>with only three strings in the high treble.

That was my understanding, as well.

>You can't take off the fourth string from a
>four-string piano and make it just like a piano
>originally designed for three strings. The
>bridges are spaced for four strings, and (I
>assume) the soundboard and ribs are designed for four strings.

I am not sure if this latter is the
case.  Certainly the bridge is different, in some respects.

>Suppose you wanted to see how a piano would
>sound if it were a true una corda, that is, if
>it only had one string on each note for the
>whole compass. You couldn't remove two strings
>from the tenor and treble, and one string from
>the bichord section, and end up with the same
>piano as one designed for only one string per
>note (if such a strange animal ever were to be made ...)

Actually that has been done a number of
times.  When I was more active in institutional
work, I used to do it for demonstration
purposes...it does get folks' attention.  Also, I
know specifically of one major contemporary venue
in which this was done to the primary concert
instrument...no, the technician who did it is no longer employed there.

>Has anybody measured three- versus four-string
>Blüthners to see if they make the boards and
>ribs and rim differently? All that tension ...

While I've not seen as many of these as are seen
in Europe, I have seen a fair number of both over
the years and am not totally convinced one way or
the other...at least as to net differences in
construction.  There are definitely differences
in terms of tone and, depending upon overall condition, sustain.

Best.

Horace