Bluthner Tuning (long-winded rehash of unison tuning)

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Fri, 03 Feb 2006 14:37:52 -0800

At 10:59 PM 2/3/2006 +0100, you wrote:
>I dunno Susan... :)
>
>... just seems to me like if you want to make sure you know what (if any)
>effect the 4th string has on sustain for the regular unison strings you
>probably should just remove it.  Damping it certainly inhibits any
><<feedback>> the 4th string might have but it doesnt stop the initial
>bleed off of energy from the unison. Just seems most likely you should
>remove them...
>
>Cheers
>RicB

------------------

Well, yes but ...

I presume that the question we first asked each other was whether the
fourth string aided sustain compared to a piano designed and built with
only three strings in the high treble.

You can't take off the fourth string from a four-string piano and make it
just like a piano originally designed for three strings. The bridges are
spaced for four strings, and (I assume) the soundboard and ribs are
designed for four strings.

Suppose you wanted to see how a piano would sound if it were a true una
corda, that is, if it only had one string on each note for the whole
compass. You couldn't remove two strings from the tenor and treble, and one
string from the bichord section, and end up with the same piano as one
designed for only one string per note (if such a strange animal ever were
to be made ...)

Has anybody measured three- versus four-string Blüthners to see if they
make the boards and ribs and rim differently? All that tension ...

ssssnn