Bluthner Tuning (long-winded rehash of unison tuning)

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Fri, 03 Feb 2006 12:56:47 -0800

At 08:49 PM 2/3/2006 +0100, you wrote:
>Because the presence of the strings muted or not represents an impedance
>factor ???  There will still be energy transfered to the strings... it
>will just get sucked up as it were by the felt.  I would think... tho I do
>not know, that you'd have to remove them to get a valid test.
>
>Cheers
>RicB

I think that depends on what you are testing for, Ric. Are you testing for
everything that the fourth string might do, such as board-loading, etc? Or
do you feel that the main effect of the fourth string is from the
sympathetic vibration, which affects coupling and the overtone profile? I
doubt that having a muted fourth string has anything like as much of an
effect as the openly ringing one does -- in fact, I know it doesn't, from
having tuned with it muted and unmuted.

sssssnn