Bluthner Tuning (long-winded rehash of unison tuning)

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Fri, 3 Feb 2006 10:06:57 -0600

Not only passing the point of diminishing returns, but even the
theoretical possibility of pulling that off.  At C7 a one beat in 5
seconds (0.2 beats per second) is a change of 0.16-cents.  I'm not
embarrassed to admit I can't make a 0.16-cent change in a string at C7.

dp

David M. Porritt
dporritt@smu.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of David Love
Sent: Friday, February 03, 2006 8:37 AM
To: 'Pianotech List'
Subject: RE: Bluthner Tuning (long-winded rehash of unison tuning)

I'm not sure about the illusion of more sustain, but the swelling (if it
can
be controlled) might create a sense that the note actually gets slightly
louder after the attack phase has settled in.  I'm not sure if that
isn't
lost in the relatively rapid decay of the treble overall.  In terms of
tuning 3 strings slightly off from each other (or even one) there is a
practical element that has to be considered.  Trying to hit a target of
1
beat in five seconds for the first unison and then splitting the
difference
with the second just seems like you've gone well past the point of
diminishing returns.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net