Bluthner Tuning (long-winded rehash of unison tuning)

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Fri, 03 Feb 2006 16:27:37 +0100

Hi Mark and others.  Some interesting stuff written on this thread for
sure.  As to the below.... I have to raise my finger in the air in
question. It was my understanding that and increase in sustaing if
strings are slightly decoupled  has been already shown to be true and
above question.  Very similiar to the basic tradeoff between sustain and
power problems.  Its not a matter of increasing or decreasing energy...
its a matter of how it is to be distributed through the system.  I
suppose you have read the article by Gabriel Weinreich
http://www.speech.kth.se/music/5_lectures/weinreic/weinreic.html

This said...  I believe that unisons in a very real sense can not ever
achieve a perfect coupled motion in the first place. There is always at
the minimum at least some barely discernable wavering.  I wouldnt
necessarilly call this instability beating per se... but unisons are
never clean in the absolute sense that is meant in the physics models
drafted in such articles as the above.

So just how much a tradeoff between sustain and power (unison cleanness
as it were in this instance) one can achieve is an open question as far
as I can see.

As for the Bluthner extra string...  I am entirely unconvinced it does
anything to increase sustain one way or the other.  It can be used to
colour the over all sound of the unison and intervals.  I've often
surmised it may have some affect of supporting crown slightly. But
increasing sustain ?? Well I've never carefully measured and then
removed the entire set of extra strings to find out... so I suppose I
should be cautious in making any declarations.

Cheers
RicB

Mark Schecter writes:

OK. So the treble notes decay more quickly than lower notes, and we
would like to slow that decay, IOW increase the sustain time, and we
think maybe we can trick the piano into doing our bidding by "tweezing"
the unisons. I say that it doesn't work, and that no matter how we tune
or detune unisons, that the best we can do is _create the illusion of
greater sustain_. We can no more make the note last longer than the
input energy through the string-bridge-board-air makes possible, than we
can make water flow uphill.