piano moving technique

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Thu, 2 Feb 2006 19:06:56 -0800 (PST)

     My skid has fat, soft ropes through it with nice
big loops on the ends. The guys ( or ladies ) moving
the piano can grab these to help lift and orient,
without putting their backs into dangerous
configurations.
    Thump

P.S. If you think its too heavy and might hurt you, it
WILL
( DAMHIK! ) Back injuries can wipe you out,
economically, in "no time".  Take NO chances !!!
Also: don't ask testosterone-laden friends ( or
strangers ) to help you move stuff !!!  The # 1 way to
hurt yourself ( or the piano ) is to have someone who
is trying to prove their "inner King Kong" around! You
need helpers who will act methodically and slowly,
"feeling" the situation as they go, and NOT using it
as an opportunity to display so-called "manliness".
These types WILL get you hurt, or bash up the piano as
it goes through a door, or tip it over in an act of
bravura ( maybe on you )......
     For this reason, when moving an upright with
inexperienced help YOU take the keyboard side! Warn
the helper that uprights tend to tip over backwards,
TELL them that it "only" weighs 3-500 pounds ( not
1,000! ) and DEMAND that you move SLOWLY and
cautiously !!!! ( Even if girls are around that they
want to impress. )