squeaky damper springs

Barbara Richmond piano57@insightbb.com
Thu, 2 Feb 2006 14:36:03 -0600

Thanks, Dave. =20

Well, there you have it, I should have looked closer.  Thanks for the =
memory jolt--every once in a while, I just need some reminding.  :-)   =
I'll be writing up a proposal and dropping it by the church.

Actually, it's the first time I recall seeing that pedal set-up--and I =
was a Kawai dealer tech for 6 years (1984-1990).  Guess I timed that =
right.  And now, since coming back from leave, I've worked mostly on =
grands, so I have pause and reach back into the recesses of my brain to =
remember what it is to service vertical pianos.  It's sort of weird!    =
But as I tuned this little Kawai, it was like taking a trip back in time =
as it popped right into place and I remembered how easily they tune up.  =

Thanks again,

Barbara Richmond

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Porritt, David=20
  To: Pianotech List=20
  Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 1:46 PM
  Subject: RE: squeaky damper springs

  Barbara:

  =20

  First, I really dislike this pedal setup that Kawai used - I think =
it's in some Boston's too.  There are LOTS of places to squeak.  In =
addition to the overly complex mechanism you show in this picture, there =
are the usual lifter-rod-on-the-damper-lever-felts, the lifter rod =
bushings etc.  If the metal is corroded no lubricant that I'm familiar =
with will help.  Polishing all those friction points and then =
lubricating is the only thing that will help.  The metal that shows in =
the picture appears corroded so I'd guess that the lifter rod and =
flanges could well be corroded as well.

  =20

  Good luck!

  =20