Starting Pitch chart

Brad Smith, RPT staff at smithpiano.com
Sun Apr 30 08:22:59 MDT 2006

Greg,
EXCELLENT!!  You've created a quick visual reference that tells a
thousand things without having to be spoken.   It adds objectivity to
your assertions to the the customer, gives contextual meaning to the
conditions you are working with, and creates a historical reference to
make the case for needed work.

The punchline of this type of tool is the visual nature of it, and the
opportunity to show deviation from the norm in an objective way.

I believe you could be very effective with this, by only measuring a
few notes in three sections of the piano, even with a simple chromatic
pitch tuner thing.
Your 'ideal' tuning curve doesn't need to be ready for NASA analysis.
Just to get the idea across that there is a range of 'fine tuning' and
a range where pitch correction is impossible to avoid.

Well done!!
We need more things like this to help us explain thing to customers.
I am trying to incorporate similar ideas into my rebuilding evaluations/quotes.
Something that shows an ideal condition, and some sort of simple scale
to show a deviated condition....for several areas of the piano.
Then, a method for creating sensible options or rebuilding scenarios,
that can be based on performance requirements, and/or budget
constraints.

Some things 'must' be done to provide a good result to the customer.
The gauge of the 'must be done'....can vary according to several
variables on the customer's side, and several variables on the tech's
side.  (experience, skills, convictions, etc.)

Hats off to you Greg for this idea!  Anything that helps the world
understand our work more objectively, benefits us all.

--
Best Regards,
Brad Smith, RPT
brad at smithpiano.com