Starting Pitch chart

Cy Shuster cy at shusterpiano.com
Sat Apr 29 08:34:23 MDT 2006

It's a great idea, Greg; thanks for sharing (I love your sharps at the top;
helps communicate very well!).  I've been doing it for a couple of years.  I
just measure each "A" using TuneLab, against the curve I've calculated for
that piano.

I've found that it really helps the customer understand what we do when we
tune, and how the piano's condition and environment contribute to tuning
stability (or not!).  Instead of thinking of tuning as just binary ("in
tune" or "out"), it's more like tracking the wear of the brake pads on your
car (where you get a report of % of pads remaining), or even having your
teeth cleaned.  Some people can go once a year to the dentist; others need
four times a year.  It gives the customer something concrete to evaluate
your recommendations for tuning frequency or humidity control.

I've even found repair problems by tracking pitch like this.  I had a C3 in
a college that had a lot of pitch variation in octave 6.  It turned out to
be loose bridge pins.

--Cy--
SHUSTERpiano.com