Am I being too anal?

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 29 11:46:01 MDT 2006

I'm working on an S&S "A". Ordered Steinway N.Y. "Improved" parts. While repinning over half of the Hammer Flanges, I kept getting 'poked' on the finger tip, as I "worked" the flanges, before measuring with my gram gauge set-up. Upon closer examination I found that a large percentage of the drop screws have a "tit" in the center of the drop screw contact surface! Upon real close examination, I see maching marks leading to the "tit" which are rough. (the plating doesn't smooth that out). I consulted S&S and got another set of drop screws....Same damned thing! Now what?!!!!
After discovering this perceived "problem", I was at a larger dealership, that does a lot of S&S rewhatevers. The Shop foreman, upon my request, opened a box of newly acquired hammer shanks and flanges. Same thing! Yikes! Now What?!!!
If any of you have a recent set of S&Flanges, would you be so kind as to closely check the drop screws contact surface(s) and report back. Once you see the "percieved" flaw, you'll know what I'm talking about. The "tit" will cause excessive wear to the balancier contact surface, IMO. However, I really don't know. Should I just install these "flawed" parts and deal with it later or?????
I'm at the point, now, that I could order drop screws from Schaff or Piano Tech, but don't know if they would be the same dimension(s). Also, there is the fact that these would not be "Steinway Parts", so it wouldn't be a Steinway any more.<G>
Meanwhile, my client is patiently waiting to get his piano "whole" again. grrrr!
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police