The piano that betrayed Goldfinger

Paul Mulik tubist at swbell.net
Fri Apr 28 11:01:30 MDT 2006

Hello list,

I went to tune an old Cable grand today at a little country church.  The
pastor had told me over the phone the day before that a ballpoint pen had
recently fallen down into the action, and asked if I could remove it while I
was there.

When I pulled out the action, I was surprised to see that it had been
covered in paint -- GOLD paint.  Someone had obviously re-whatevered the
action at some point, and decided to put a finishing touch on the job by
spray-painting the entire action, keys and all (except for the hammers,
which appeared to be original, and the new keytops).  I wonder what would
possess anyone to do such a thing?

Paul Mulik