Damp-Chaser in Texas

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 27 08:45:22 MDT 2006

Richard,
In private homes, central air conditioning does reduce humidity
because it recycles the air (that is changing as people realize the
need for fresh air and add air exchange systems).  In commercial
locations, outdoor air is cooled down raising the Rh to dangerous
levels I routinely record Rh readings in the high seventies and when
the weather is wet, in the eighties at the university and college
locations I service.

The college chose to add humidification to the DC dehumidifier system
this winter when Rh dipped below 40% and the concert piano's pitch
plummeted during the concert season.

Bottom line, record temperature and Rh at each and every service
call.  Covers you when the piano isn't at pitch shortly (and change
of weather) after you tune it and may well demonstrate the need for
additional service.

Andrew Anderson