Dealing with bridge damage.

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Apr 25 14:54:31 MDT 2006

Warranty? What for warranty?

Closer investigation revealed that the persistent culprits had been victims of savage "string-seating".

Gotta admit, even if I had built the piano, I might have a hard time covering this kind of damage.

There is a lack of sustain and power in the fifth and lower sixth octaves.

I'd love to see the manufacturer fix that one! Isn't this likely part of the uniqueness each of the pianos this manufacturer makes?

Some were beating so wildly as to be practically un-tunable.

What is noise to some may be fullness to others. "Personality" - isn't that what they call it?

Seriously though, although it probably should be tried, I have a hard time imagining that any warranty repairs would be approved - especially if aggressive seating has been done.

If a new cap and mass loading the bridge do not suffice, then I suppose it is time for a new soundboard - preferably of a better design.

Terry Farrell