Voicing

Arlin Hall ahall12 at austin.rr.com
Tue Apr 25 07:18:12 MDT 2006

Good Morning.

I am interested in your favorite technique to make hammers sound louder an
brighter.  Here's the story.

A client was given an old baby grand.  Given that it had been kept out in a
hot barn for years it was in surprising good condition, both casing, action
and strings.  On the upper two octaves, though, the hammers had worn through
to the wood, so we replaced them.  The owner didn't have the cash to replace
all hammers on the piano, so they opted to just replace the worn through
upper treble.  The action has been adjusted and the hammers aligned with the
strings, but the new ones don't sound nearly as bright or as loud as the
remaing ones.  I understand that this is to be expected.  The owner likes
the gritty rock n roll tone that the remaining old hammers has, and wants me
to adjust the new ones to match as closely as possible.  The current
different is pronounced.

Your suggestions?

Arlin