Mass loading - Re: Hail and fare well, was Re: Bridge Pins & Nega Bearing

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Apr 25 06:14:41 MDT 2006

> I was working on an "L" here with a bad section in the "killer octave"
> that I wanted to help.  I used vice grips to find where I'd like to put
> some weight and they really helped.  Unfortunately, where the weights
> need to go I can't get a drill because of the keybed extension and
> crossblock.
>
> Any bright ideas???
>
> dave

Dave,
Nothing terribly elegant, but it's doable. The two problems
are locating a hole from underneath that hits the bridge, and
then being able to reach it to drive a screw. Locating the
hole is easiest done by drilling down through the bridge from
above, carefully avoiding ribs as well as you can. If you can
then reach it from underneath with an offset or ratchet
screwdriver, you're there. If not, a 12" aircraft drill can be
used from above to drill a guide hole clear through the belly
rail and keybed, or beam. This hole can then be enlarged as
necessary from underneath to accommodate a long screwdriver.
The small hole in the bridge cap is of little consequence as a
trade off for making a killer octave more tolerable. The holes
in the keybed and beams are of no consequence at all.

At least, that's what I'd do.

Alternately, you can eyeball drill from underneath, aiming at
a spot on the soundboard between ribs, using the dowels as a
guide, and hope you come close to hitting the spot after going
through the beam or keybed, and that the dowels are reasonably
centered on the bridge. This is doable too, if a little scarier.
Ron N