String Replacement

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Apr 25 06:26:57 MDT 2006

Lovely indeed David. Looks like the guy has a few universals mixed in there.
Yowzer!

One of the two uprights I condemned last week had a brand-new action in it.
The guy bought the piano for $300. I had to tell him it would likely cost
less to buy all new action parts and completely re-set up the action -
several thousand dollars - than to try and fix what was there. Whomever
"rebuilt" this action hadn't a clue as to what s/he was doing. It was
slightly better than putting all the parts in a big box, adding a bunch of
glue, shaking the whole thing up and letting it dry. Amazing. Dampers and
many notes not functioning at all. Hit one key, three play. Hammers hitting
neighboring strings, etc., etc.

Are pianos especially prone to this level if repair incompetence? Or do
automobiles, homes, and furniture see the same thing? I do know that boats
often receive the same treatment.

Oh well, makes things interesting, if not discouraging sometimes.   :-(

Terry Farrell