CA glue on loose hammers

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Sat Apr 22 15:55:04 MDT 2006

Hi folks.

Just had an interesting experience with CA glue.  I had a small tube
with me the other day when I ran into a grand with a just loose hammer
head.  So I decided rather then remove the hammer and reglue it that I'd
try and soak in a bit of CA and see if that worked.   A whole lot soaked
in to the shank and hole despite the fact that the hammer was just
barely loose.  Seemed tight enough after a few minutes... so I let it
go.  I had to go back today to fix a small lyre problem that I took with
me to the shop and checked the hammer to make sure it was ok.  Loose as
could be.  So I removed the action and the hammer pulled off the shank
slick as if it was grease going through a goose !  Looking at the shank
I couldnt see any glaze or anything... just some miscolouring I assume
came from the CA.  But the inside of the hammer hole was definatly
glazed with CA. It was quite a bit looser today then it origionally
was.  It was a Yamaha C2 of newer date.  Anyone have an idea what caused
this ?  Some interaction with the old glue perhaps ?

Cheers
RicB