Bösendorfer Rim

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Sat Apr 22 10:25:06 MDT 2006

Hi Ric

The experience I had in London was some years back.  But last year I
took over responsibilities for pianotechnical affairs for the Bergen
International Festival and as part of that I ended up matching our
university's 2 year old CF III -S with a 20 year old Steinday D
(Hamburg) in a very large hall every bit of 50 meters long.  In THIS
case the Yamaha ate the Steinway alive. Fair enough that this particular
Steinway has had trouble in its mid tenor since it was new, and that the
Yamaha is perhaps the best Yamaha CF III I have ever run into... and by
a good shot at that.... but standing at the back of Håkonhallen and
listening to the two it was just plain scary.  The artists for the
evening used about 3 minutes to decide for the Yamaha instead of the
Steinway for the bulk of the program which required 1 instrument. And
when the two were played together it was no contest.

Point being that this recent experience points me in the direction that
Yamaha has nearly got their piano like they want it, and it is able to
hamel up with Steinways.  Given their marketing power and never ending
banging away at the market.... I see a real potential for them
eventually breaking down the barriers.  That said... what good will it
do if it just leads a continuance of the <<one sound>> mentality ?

Cheers
RicB

----------
Hi RicB
,
Some nice and eloquently expressed comments on the Steinway-Boesendorfer
front.

I was very interested in your comment regarding Yamaha  'perhaps' joining
Steinway in the dominance issue on the orchestral  platform.  One of the
recent
postings describes a 'contest' between the  Steinway D and the Yamaha
CF111,
with the Yamaha losing power at quite a  close aural distance.  This has
been my
experience having heard the  Yamaha with full orchestra on a number of
occasions.  Are you aware of  anything new in the Yamaha design which
actually does
challenge the  power of the best Steinway ?  I have certainly been
impressed
with  many Yamahas, the S6 and the concert grands for instance, which
can sound
quite  splendid in recital venues, but  with a full orchestra don't
stand up
to  the Steinway competition regarding power.  In short, do you think that
Yamahas are attepting to compete on power with an orchestra?

ric