Buttressed Arch. Question for Ron N.

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Apr 22 12:17:14 MDT 2006

> Don't the B's have only a few longitudinal beams connecting the stretcher to
> the tail and perhaps the curved part of the rim?

Four, I think, without looking, fanned from the mis-named
"tone collector" at the plate horn.

> If so, then it is a reason for the vibration of the rim, because it's not
> stiff enough transversally (I mean from spine to curved side).

No the excess vibration (there will always be some) was from
the lack of mass.

> I think in such a case, adding 1-2 transversal braces would make the whole
> rim much stiffer, thus providing a more rigid support for the soundboard and
> somewhat improving sustain. What do you think?

Yes, I think a couple of transverse braces would be
beneficial, but there are other things the B skeleton needs
more badly. It needs a real bass cutoff bar instead of that
floating rib connector (which would provide some spine
bracing). It also needs some real belly rail bracing instead
of that single little stick. Put a laminated beech or maple
belly rail in them instead of the spruce (I think) that's in
there, throw out the bell and put in a couple of real braces
with a nose bolt, and you'd have a better foundation to hang a
good soundboard assembly, rib, and string scale on.

Ron N