Buttressed Arch. Question for Ron N.

Calin Tantareanu calin.tantareanu at gmx.net
Sat Apr 22 10:53:11 MDT 2006

Hello Ron N.!

A remark about your Steinway B rim:

> Even with that "iron fortress" rock maple rim, it was
> absorbing more soundboard energy because I had removed the
> MASS of the clamps from the rim. When I got the plate bolts

Don't the B's have only a few longitudinal beams connecting the stretcher to
the tail and perhaps the curved part of the rim?
If so, then it is a reason for the vibration of the rim, because it's not
stiff enough transversally (I mean from spine to curved side).
I think in such a case, adding 1-2 transversal braces would make the whole
rim much stiffer, thus providing a more rigid support for the soundboard and
somewhat improving sustain. What do you think?

Calin Tantareanu