Re: Bösendorfer Rim

Byeway222 at aol.com Byeway222 at aol.com
Fri Apr 21 18:40:10 MDT 2006

Hi Ric,
Some nice and eloquently expressed comments on the Steinway-Boesendorfer
front.
I was very interested in your comment regarding Yamaha  'perhaps' joining
Steinway in the dominance issue on the orchestral  platform.  One of the recent
postings describes a 'contest' between the  Steinway D and the Yamaha CF111,
with the Yamaha losing power at quite a  close aural distance.  This has been my
experience having heard the  Yamaha with full orchestra on a number of
occasions.  Are you aware of  anything new in the Yamaha design which actually does
challenge the  power of the best Steinway ?  I have certainly been impressed
with  many Yamahas, the S6 and the concert grands for instance, which can sound
quite  splendid in recital venues, but  with a full orchestra don't stand up
to  the Steinway competition regarding power.  In short, do you think that
Yamahas are attepting to compete on power with an orchestra?

ric