Health Insurance for RPT's?

Mark Schecter schecter at pacbell.net
Fri Apr 14 16:29:25 MDT 2006

Hi, Julia.

Yes, I'm sure we have enough. The impediment is not our size, it's the
way the insurance companies are regulated. Right now, there is no
overarching set of regulations that would apply to an insurance company
that wants to issue policies to the members of an organization, when the
members live in multiple states. The rules governing insurance are
presently at the state level. The legislation that's currently under
consideration in the U.S. Senate would place responsibility for
overseeing insurance companies in the Department of Labor, the same
department that regulates insurance when a single larger company has
employees in multiple states. Here's a set of answers that should help
to clarify the overall picture: http://www.ahpsnow.com/page/sbhpsnowFAQs

If the legislation passes, members of PTG should be able to get group
rates, provided that PTG sets itself up to offer insurance. That would
be the next step, after legislation making it possible is passed. Hope
this helps.

-Mark Schecter