Health Insurance for RPT's?

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Fri Apr 14 06:52:09 MDT 2006

Mark wrote:
>There are well over 40 Million people in the U.S. who have no health
>coverage. What do they do when they get sick? Do you think they just
>suffer alone until they either get better without help or die? No, they
>go to the emergency room, the #1 most expensive form of health care. Who
>do you think pays for that? (We do.) And wouldn't it have been better if
>they could have had their problem treated in a more appropriate, timely
>and cost effective manner? The cost of one ER visit would cover several
>problems handled at the right level, i.e. early when it's still a small
>problem.

Well, Mark, I am one of the 40 million. I haven't had "heath insurance" (it
actually insures poor health for all practical purposes) for 20 years and
I'm not complaining. In fact, losing health insurance has been perhaps the
greatest blessing my family has ever experienced. It forced us to get
serious about our health and our relationship to God. We made major diet
modifications and instituted a family policy that we would not go to a
doctor without first having the elders of the church anoint with oil and
pray. I could tell you scores of stories that you would flat not believe,
but my children first hand witnessed God answering those prayers. Rare is
the time when we have had to use a doctor. Several of my children have never
ever had an antibiotic or vaccination. And I have 11 children.

20 years with no insurance and 8 of my children were born during that
period. That was 8 live births and 2 miscarriages with no hospitalizations
and only a handful of doctor visits. Also during that 20 year period we had
2 trips to the emergency room. Yet I dare say we have paid the "health care"
system (aka, money sucking vortex) far less during those 20 years than we
would have had we been plugged into the system.

And that, quite honestly, is what is wrong with most of your points, Mark.
You presume being plugged into the system and the only options you present
are those the system allows. But the last 20 year history of my family is
living proof that there is another system, one that I have only outlined
here in very scant terms. It is a far better alternative, one that really
does insure health as best as it can be insured.

Now if you want the government to "fix" the system, may I suggest you
remember how well they fixed Katrina.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272