Health Insurance for RPT's?

John M. Formsma john at formsmapiano.com
Thu Apr 13 21:29:15 MDT 2006

Mark,

You make several good points, and we are certainly in agreement about
insurance companies and aggregate buying power for a group like PTG.

There are those of us who believe that the federal government is not
constitutionally authorized to provide things like a national health care
system. Those powers belong to the states. We would say if the states want
to provide its residents with health care, then go for it. But the federal
government does not have those powers. (The Fed has arrogated to itself more
powers than these, and we could spend months talking about it. And
Republicans are just as guilty as Democrats about this. BTW, I'm neither a
Republican nor a Democrat, and I don't think real solutions reside in a
political party. I also don't like the party system as it often sets party
loyalty above what is best for the people.)

When I read your arguments, Mark, I understand that you are trying to be
pragmatic about fixing a current and serious problem. I agree that something
should be done, and if you and I were in charge of creating a solution to
the health care problem, we would probably be in a lot of agreement. But I
would take a step back to look at the big picture. As I read what you wrote,
it almost sounds as if you believe that health care is a right. I disagree
that health care is a right. Let's substitute the word "food" for "health
care" to see how the argument holds up. One could argue similarly that
without food all 300 million people in the U.S. would be in serious danger
of not only their health, but also their lives. But is it the government's
responsibility to provide all its citizens with food? Of course not. Having
food is not a right. Neither is having health care, or cars, or pianos for
that matter. It's a privilege, and one must work for it, just like one must
work if he wants to eat. I get disgusted with people nowadays that think
that just because they're breathing, they deserve _____. But, I'm preaching
to the choir, as I'm sure most of us are those who get out there and bust it
to make a good living.

Obviously, we are in a huge mess with the current structure of our entire
society, not just in our health care system. There is no overnight solution
to this difficult problem, as it would take many years to undo all the
errors of the past. We must begin somewhere, and again, I probably would
agree with you about some things that could be an interim solution. But the
ultimate answer does not lie in more government "provision." As we all know,
government "provision" means government thievery from someone else. The
government has no money. What it does is take our money and give it back to
us or someone else - with huge amounts of waste every time money is handled.

Long term solution? Let the federal government go on a HUGE diet! Abolish
all entitlement programs and pork within 10 years. Give it back to the
states if the people want it, but let the federal government do what it's
supposed to do: promote (not provide for) the general welfare by protecting
the people from evildoers without and within, and handling problems that
arise between states.

Something else we could all consider while we're on the topic of government.
I'm taking a look at www.fairtax.org, which advocates a national sales tax
to replace the current taxation system. I'm not saying it's THE answer, but
it might be worth a look.

Regards,

John Formsma