Problem with Rubber Mutes Falling in Upright Piano

Robert Finley rfinley at rcn.com
Sun Apr 9 08:28:57 MDT 2006

I have had problems with rubber wedge mutes falling down into an upright piano. In some places it is difficult to find the best position to place the mutes, especially in the higher treble because the strings are so short and there is so little room. When the mute falls down it sometimes dislodges the hammer butt springs and I have to re-position them on the hammer butts with a damper regulating tool. What would you recommend I do to stop this happening? Thank you very much.

Robert Finley