String bearing point lubrication

J. Stanley Ryberg jstan40 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 8 18:42:31 MDT 2006

While I'm at it, Mineral Oil USED to be a substance for lubing action centers. A mix of 10:1 was used, (Thinned with the highest grade of Mineral Spirits or Carbontetrachloride!) I used to use it and QUIT! The darned stuff gets gummy with age. The only thing I use Mineral oil for is for sharpening, mixed 50%-50% with mineral spirits. Beats the hell out of all of those fancy-schmancy sharpening oils, that sell for exhorbitant prices.
  Regards,

  Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
  Captain, Tool Police
  Squares R I

  Omigosh, Joe!  I was a teenager in the mid-50s, working weekends with a tuner in SW Minnesota...he used as his all-purpose lubricant a 10:1 mixture of carbontetrachloride and 3-in-1 household oil!  I've never forgotten the smell, which was the same as those glass containers found on the walls of classrooms in the '40s...and later found to be a carcinogen (as I think MOST things probably are)!  I can recall that odor so easily...perhaps that's why I can't...uh...oh, look, a chicken!!

Stan Ryberg
Barrington IL
jstan40 at sbcglobal.net