Hammers blocking in Seiler uprights

Roger Jolly roger.j at sasktel.net
Fri Apr 7 23:04:57 MDT 2006

Hi Dave,
                     You seem to have a good grasp on what is happening.
To illuminate the picture;   For argument sake. With a 4mm hole the
key feels free, travelling through 5 degrees of arc, with a 7mm hole
you start to feel resistance at the 3 degree point. and a firmer push
is required to push the action through let off and after touch.
The binding makes it difficult to feel let off, and makes even touch
almost impossible
  Both Korean manufacturers have tended to over ease the keys to mask
the problem. leading to a noisy action, from chucking keys.
After reaming, I have often had to steam the balance rail hole,
because the hole had been over eased, masking the hole height problem
Seen the same gross problem in the recent Chinese pianos.
Now for the funny:     I have carried the reaming tool around for
about 20yrs, and only used it when I did various balance rail hole
repairs.   In the last 12 months I think I have almost wore it out.
;-)  I have hardly used my Yamaha easing tool on any thing but Yamaha pianos.

Regards Roger