How to know the value of a piano (in mint condition)

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Apr 6 04:34:03 MDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Will Wickham" <wwickham at stny.rr.com>
> Larry's book (second edition is what I have) has some pretty good
> general info on pages 141-143. I go through a few steps to appraise a
> piano: First, I use the depreciation schedule on page 143 to
> determine the current value of older pianos.   I find (or estimate)
> the age of the piano then multiply the suggested retail price of the
> closest available model that is currently available by the indicated
> percentage. That gives me a starting point. Second is to survey the
> web for asking prices (and actual sale prices when I can find them)
> for pianos of similar model and age. The third step is to call around
> to "local" dealers to see what they might ask or expect to get for
> the particular piano. The final step is to consider all of this along
> with Larry's advice as well as the condition of the piano and come up
> with a high figure (what the piano should be insured for or
> replacement cost)

Be aware that many (or at least State Farm) insurance companies selling "replacement cost" policies will replace a claimed item with new - your 20 year old TV will be replaced with a similar new one - your 50 year old couch will be replaced with a similar new one - your 15 year old refrigerator will be replaced with a new one - AND your 100 year old piano will be replaced with a new one. So in that case, the figure the insurance company needs is the current retail cost of a new similar piano!

> and a "likely sale price" figure (what I'd
> recommend the customer ask for or expect to get in a sale) for the
> market conditions in the region where the piano is located.
>
> While the first step doesn't apply in all cases (since you just can't
> buy a Wing and Sons grand or any of the tall old upright style pianos
> new these days) the others all have some bearing on all pianos.

Most all major piano manufacturers offer a 52-inch-tall upright model. Yeah, they are a bit shorter than some of the taller old uprights of old, but pretty close.

Terry Farrell