Upright Treble Hammer Weight

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 5 14:05:31 MDT 2006

Terry,
This is common. My solution is to taper the treble hammer sides, just as you would for grand. However, I like to graduate the taper until I reach an area of hammers that fall into the designated gram equivilants. (Usually at the break or just below.) I hope that helps.
There were many kinds of wood used in Upright Hammer Mouldings. The high end pianos, such as S&S used Walnut and Mahogany. These woods are in short supply and of poor quality. Ray, at Ronsen uses Silver Maple and that takes care of the problem for both the Hammer Maker and the Tech/piano, for the most part. Even with Silver Maple, I like to taper the top treble section.<G>
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I