Tips for knuckle relocation

Thomas Cole tcole at cruzio.com
Tue Apr 4 23:32:35 MDT 2006

I think that moving the knuckles is easier and cheaper than pulling
hammers and hanging them on new shanks.

You'll need to make the jig for the first job, of course: a sled that
rides in the miter gauge slots of your table saw, with a suitable
arrangement on top to hold the shanks, an adjuster to locate the shank
at the right point to cut the new slot, and some way to quick clamp each
shank securely while being cut.

I remove the old knuckles, flanges removed, by freehanding them through
the band saw, leaving the old core flush with the shank. For cutting the
new slots to fit the new knuckles, the table saw blade needs to be the
right width. I use a plastic cutting blade which happens to be perfect
for Tokiwa knuckles, but most likely you'll have to narrow down a blade
by holding a stone up to the side of the running blade to adjust the
kerf. I find that knuckle cores vary in thickness slightly so you may
want to leave a tiny bit of slop for variances.

The beauty of moving knuckles is that you can put them at the distance
you want and not only what the shank makers offer, it's easy to do (once
you have the jig), and it's a great fix for an action which has new
parts but the action ratio is not right (previous techs fault :-)

Right after I built my knuckle relocator system, I attended a PTG
meeting where another tech had done the same thing, only it was a better
system! He said he was going to make them for sale if anyone wanted one
so I cautiously recommend him (he's a busy guy these days). Contact info:

    Roland Kaplan
    rkaplan at speakeasy.net

Tom Cole