Upright Hammer Shank Length

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Apr 3 10:59:14 MDT 2006

I'm installing a new action in an upright. I need to find the "sweet" spot up at C88 to determine how long to cut the shanks (determine strike point). Doing this on a grand piano is so easy by sliding the action in and out a bit and the hammer assembly can be glued nice and firm for good sound production.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this on an upright? If you move the action, the regulation changes, and if you have the hammer mobile, I fear it is too loose to really get a good sound. How do you folks do make this determination?

Terry Farrell