Protecting plain wire from rust

gordon stelter lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 2 22:27:57 MDT 2006

   Piano wire already has some oil on it, from
manufacture. Prove this to yourself by pulling a
piece of new wire through a clean white paper towel
and observing the black stuff which ensues.
     I've found that Mape's Internatinal Gold holds up
well in high humidity. Partly because of this, partly,
I suspect, because of the high polish which inhibits
moisture from gaining a "toe hold" in the surface.
     Of course, if you'd prefer your own, nice, clean
oil to the stuff on the wire, you can wipe
( or rinse, with acetone ) it off, and add your own.