laminated ribs

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Apr 2 22:22:07 MDT 2006

Dale,
Those ribs were originally built into a CC board. How can  a
compression crowned board get mechanical support from the rib
scale,  however "good" the scale looks? The ribs in CC boards
resist the crown  that panel compression is trying to form and
maintain, and just put more  compression load on the panel.  -----Ron

  No, I get all that Ron, but if the ribs are built significantly  taller &
of stiffer material by design  then more panel  compression can be taken out of
the equation.  Another thought is, &  I've witnessed this quite a few times
is, that Stwy A's (1 & 2"s) in  general can produce a pretty wonderful sound
even with a  flat or  flattish board providing there is some small but
consistent bearing load  still intact so in this case it would seem that there are
enough impedance  factors about the rib scale to make the system work rather well.
Ok maybe a  freak of nature but it happens fairly frequently.
   About 5 years back I had such an long A I was going to  resell it. It had
Steinway hammers which were quite soft &  made  it sound really good.  It was
hard to imagine that a new board would make  it sound much better. It truly
sounded glorious but it was a spec job  & I don't sell old boards very often. I
didn't do any thing to the  action until later for a really good A b
comparison.
   So  I built a board with the same number of ribs  making them crowned at
about 60 ft. Made em taller but not much. Used sugar  pine in the bottom &
yellow pine in the top.  The sound was  cleaner and the sustain was about the same
which was awesome.  It just  had it!!
  I attribute much of this to the original basic rib scale  design. Something
was working or several things were.  Do you see what  I'm saying?
  I'll crunch some numbers & see what I got.  I greatly  Appreciate the
design sharing & information swap.
  Thanks
   Dale

It's  an entirely different system. Do a bearing load analysis
on the ribs as  load carrying beams and see what the numbers
say. They'll say that the rib  scale isn't adequate to support
bearing without substantial panel  compression support.

Ron N