key top cleaning

Mon, 26 Sep 2005 17:52:41 +0100

Dave - what can anyone say but.. Wow! But tell us, Dave, though it looks
like plate ivory key tops . is it?

Michael G.(UK)

  _____

From: Dave McKibben [mailto:davespianotuning@earthlink.net]
Sent: 26 September 2005 01:01
To: Pianotech
Subject: key top cleaning

Well I'm not one to tell anyone on this list on what to do on anything, but
I will share what I did recently that worked very well for me.

I was working on a piano for a friend of mine and the keys were awfully
yellow and dirty and stained.

I tried a few things but what finally did work was:

Wet sanding with 600 grit paper and bleach.  Clean wiped with clear water
rinsed sponge, and dried with a clean rag.

I'm not saying this is the best way, or the easiest, but it worked !  And
this is before they are buffed with a buffing wheel.

See the attached pics.

Dave

Dave McKibben

Piano Tuning & Repair 858-776-2516