Grotrian Steinwegs - to list or not to list?

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Mon, 26 Sep 2005 09:05:31 +0200

So... let me get this right...

We are to use language the way YOU think it should be used to describe
things.

Personally.. I'd rather just let people describe in their own way, and
engage in a positive discussion in order to understand what they mean
adequately instead of jumping into a useless discussion about what word
describes what best.  By way of illustration... I see absolutely no
connection between the words <<sizzle>> and <<jangle>>.  If you do
fine.. we scratch our heads a bit and figure out what each other is
describing... or we argue about who is correct in their use of words.

If we have any "responsibility" to our young inexperienced readers... it
would seem to me to be the former rather then the later. And that in a
friendly, open minded, and sincere manner.

IMHO.

And David... if you are accusing me directly of first

    "particular poor piece of information has been passed for no other
    reason than we just wanted to say something but didn't bother to
    think about it first"

for so to

    "try and save face"

in my replies to this nonsense... then my response to you is even less
appropriate to this list then your charges. As such they will not be
posted.

If I have misunderstood your drift I am sure being the gracefull person
that you will have no trouble offering excuse.

RicB

**

Since we have many people reading this list who are new to piano technology,
I simply feel it's important to be as accurate as possible in disseminating
information.  I know you like to offer information and advice and I think
that's admirable, but I think it's important to recognize when the
information we pass on may not be as accurate as we'd like.

A sizzle, cymbal with rivets, or jangle, as it is also frequently referred
to, is a sound that we do experience with pianos and is quite distinctive.
It simply does not come from unfelted backscales or, for that matter, from
unfelted duplexes, front or rear.  Now I suppose you might hear a "zing"
from the front duplex if there was leakage, but that would be quite
distinctive from a sizzle or riveted cymbal and should be dealt with in an
altogether different manner anyway.  And a "whoosh", well that's another
matter entirely.

The sorts of sounds produced by undamped or unfelted non speaking segments
will be distinctive overrings of sympathetic tones--something quite
different from a sizzle, cymbal with rivets sound, jangle, zing or whoosh.
I would hate to see an earnest newcomer to the industry struggling to weave
some cloth into the tenor section underneath the bass strings getting his
nasty fingerprints all over that nice new copper to get rid of a sizzle when
in fact it was a paper clip or bobby pin laying across the lower bass
strings that could have been easily extracted with an even relatively clumsy
thumb and forefinger.  I can accept that it's important to try and save face
when a particular poor piece of information has been passed for no other
reason than we just wanted to say something but didn't bother to think about
it first.  However, we do have a responsibility to those who might not
otherwise catch our lapse and take us at our word.  Don't you think?
(Rhetorical question)

Cheers

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net <mailto:davidlovepianos@comcast.net>