New Tuning Hammer

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Wed, 14 Sep 2005 07:53:32 -0500

At 06:47 AM 9/14/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>One thing about using more than one tuning lever is the affect on your
>hands.
>
>When I was younger (a looooong time ago) I had met some technicians who
>had lost some of their hearing.  I've been very cautious of my hearing
>all my life fearing that a loss would necessitate an early retirement.
>I always used hearing protectors while tuning, in the shop etc.  Now
>that I'm past the age of retiring early, my hearing is still good,
>however, my hands are now the more likely part of my body to cause
>serious retirement thoughts.  I've recently been using a ball type
>hammer on grands and the Schaff extension hammer on upwrongs.  This has
>helped my hands to have a change of grip throughout the day.  Anything
>you do A LOT should have some variety involved so you don't stress parts
>of your body.
>
>Take care of your ears, but also take care of your hands.
>
>dp
>
>David M. Porritt
>dporritt@smu.edu

I definitely agree with Dave about the bodily stress and hearing. Hearing
protection is worth it, no matter what the cost!

I recently had an audiogram taken.  I wasn't experiencing any problems, but
I knew it had been a while. (I found out it had been 8 yrs...)

For a variety of reasons, the hospital didn't have my '97 test results, but
DID have my '89 results. The difference between '89 and '05 was within the
margin of error.   (I'd REALLY like to get ahold of the test results from
my Navy discharge physical in '73 for comparison.)

I've been wearing some sort of hearing protection ever since working in
those engine rooms, and tuned a LOT of pianos and organs since. I have my
earplugs along at a lot of concerts, also.  My hearing _should_ last until
I retire from my college job.  With luck, and continued usage of hearing
protection, a lot longer...

Re: variety

Wrist/shoulder/back injury IS painful. I developed carpal tunnel syndrome
years ago by overdoing stuff. I'd do 6-8 pianos a day with gusts up to 10
or more. 4-5 is my maximum now.

Listen to your body! If you have pain, CHANGE SOMETHING!  It may be as
simple as changing or varying your posture. You may need to change tuning
hammers and/or technique.  In my case, after my surgeries in '87, I changed
my workload _and_ my technique. About four years ago, I started to use an
ETD which cut down on the number of passes for pitch raises - "bulk tuning"
for school isn't near the work it used to be.

I also changed my attitude.  Just because I was fast and could tune a bunch
of pianos in a given amount of time didn't mean I HAD to.  There are roses
to be smelled.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.