ETDs vs exam and master tunings

David Renaud drjazzca@yahoo.ca
Wed, 14 Sep 2005 07:51:20 -0400 (EDT)

Hello

   Regarding machine tunings VS master tunings.

    I am a recent CTE and have observations of
interest to this subject.
Some interesting patterns occur when comparing a
machine tunings to master tunings.

Our new 2 Master tunings in Ottawa were done on a C7
and a Steinway A2 respectively,
with the following procedure.

1) Pitch raise piano with tunelab  and tune to a curve
calculated from samples.

2)  The examination team did not like the stretch
result in each case. It was not terrible
    but did not represent our best effort. SO we
tweaked the a3-a4 octave aurally until
we were all satisfied, then we tweaked the machine
curve till it matched what we had
created aurally in  that octave. We now could refine
the piano to a smooth machine curve that was based on
the foundation of an aural stretch we liked at the
temperament level.
    The result was better, but still did not represent
our best effort

3)   We then proceeded to go through step by step an
entire aural tuning from scratch checking with careful
aural tests at every note. We used the machine to
record  deviations  Comparison against the machines
prescribed smooth calculated average curve
interesting patterns emerge.  The machine creates one
smooth average curve, but the master tuning deviations
follow the string scaling.
   Deviation from the prescribed marching tuning will
change incrementally for a half dozen notes then
suddenly jump away from the machine tuning curve
exactly at a string size change, then incrementally
work its way back  to the curve, then jump again at
the next string size change marked on the bridge.
   Its as if sharp harmonics get progressively worse
in the scale at a point that hey, we better change
string size now. Suddenly the harmonic structure of
the tone is improved. Careful aural checks will follow
the pattern the scaling dictates.

   The deviation in the low tenor can be a great deal;
depending on the machine curve chosen the deviations
could be enough that when using a machine one might be
in danger of loosing points if not careful.

   I was an aural tuner of 22 years, using tunelab
these last 3 years.
   The experience of doing master tuning has both
increased by appreciation for EDTs strengths
at one level, but also a greater awareness of EDTs
limitations, and a deeper appreciation of aural skills
and the need to preserve an aural tradition in tuning.

    I would love to see many graphs of master tunings
plotted against machine curves for the same piano.

    Also, would users of verituner who have
participated in master tuning comment. Verituner
listens to each notes samples and graphs them all, so
should reflect the scaling closer. I am told it takes
a few passes for verituner to gather enough
information on one piano though....comments.

    On another related vein.

    I have learned keeping my aural skills and keeping
listening is important because............

1) I am on a concert stage tuning a D and the unit
crashes.(once in 3 years)Whatcha goin t do lad without
little egor yelln instructions at ya, concerts in 1
hour.

2) I happly call up the tuning I want for a C7 concert
and 3/4 through the tuning realize it is sounding less
then stellar. I called up the wrong tuning file. 30
min left till doors open.
  Good thing I listened and questioned it. It was 6am
without a pot of coffee and autopilot was tempting.

3) I go to do a tuning on a piano tuned 1 year earlier
by another technician. This tech.tunes chromatically
from A0, no aural checks, trusting the machine.
B0 was C#1, C1 was a D1, others were normal. The
machine easily become confused what note it is on in
the bottom octave and some of the notes were 200 cents
off, so you would go down chromatically but go up the
scale aurally. The client had noticed, thus they had
called a new tech, me. Let us never stop
listening........never.

4) Sometimes, on some pianos(small ones), I just do
not like what the machine is doing, especially
in the low tenor crossing over to the bass. The
machine tuning I calculate for some areas of some
pianos just does not cut it for me. The deviation from
a smooth calculated curve is just too much to bear.

4) Yes the machine is so efficient when changing
pitch. Real serious intonation is only possible when
the piano is already in tune. Careful aural tuning is
simply better quality. Nerveless, I find for most road
tuning more is accomplished for the client with the
efficiency of the machine to make the best use of the
time to achieve a fundamental level. Then the piano is
ready to venture beyond.

                                      Cheers

                                      Dave Renaud