Keytop Jigs

Greg Graham grahampianos@yahoo.com
Mon, 24 Oct 2005 20:55:25 -0700 (PDT)

David,

The router bit needs to be slightly wider than the
widest key, but not so you can cut in one pass.  It
takes a single round-trip pass, but that is OK.  In
fact, it is what keeps the wood from splintering at
the edges.  By moving clockwise from front to tail
across the bass side of the key, then back on the
treble side of the key, the cutter is always spinning
toward the center of the wood (a climb cut), rather
than tearing off the edge.

By stopping at the tail end on the bass side, then
sliding to the treble side while against the stops,
the cut is nice and square and can be set to match the
keytop length exactly.  If the bit is just slightly
larger than the key width, the maximum diameter of the
bit covers the key completely.  That's the theory,
anyway.  I use a 5/8th inch straight bit, and make a
second pass up the middle with the router base
catycorner.  It goes quickly. I'm still thinking about
getting a 1 inch bit.  Just being cheap, I guess.

Very rigid jig, very smooth and repeatable results.
The only touchy part of building the jig was getting
the vice bottom and jaws square to the router bit.
Once set, it has been very reliable.

Greg Graham