Key Clamp Alert from Spurlock Tools

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 22 Oct 2005 08:03:13 -0400

Bill Spurlock of Spurlock Specialty Tools requested that I post the =
statement below to the Pianotech List.

Terry Farrell

>From Bill Spurlock:

Some earlier versions of our key clamps had the black woven handles =
attached with the screw only passing through one thickness of the =
webbing material.On these there is the danger that the material can =
stretch and slip off over the screw head, causing the keys to fall out =
of the users hands and be damaged. On later versions we have folded the =
material over so the screw passes through a double thickness. While we =
have had only a couple of reports of this problem, we recommend that =
anyone owning a set of our key clamps should inspect the handle =
attachment. If the screw only passes through a single thickness of =
handle webbing, the clamps should be modified immediately.=20

There are two simple options: Add a fender washer at least 3/4" diameter =
to the screw, or fold the handle material over so the screw penetrates =
two layers (see picture at =
http://www.spurlocktools.com/id66_clamp_handle_mods.htm)