Eric Schandall on Lacquer Voicing / Dale

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 21:05:37 +0200

Hi Dale

btw.. I should say so much hello !  He did tell me of your freindship,
and indeed your name came up as part of his lecture along with a couple
other west coast guys.

I remember many of our discussions about this subject and you and its
part of the reason I have come to respect your views so much.  We
initially had a bit of difficulty finding out whether either of us was
trying to assert whether one approach was inherently better then the
other, and along with the mix of many other posts I think I initially
misunderstood you to take the position that both methods ended up
sounding basically alike.

My position has always been that the two approaches are bound to end up
having different sound characteristics, and that personally I prefer the
sound of the non-lacquer approach.  That said, I found his discussion
interesting as well as a more personal engagement over dinner in Old
Town Stockholm with him and a couple other techs.  Very interesting
fellow Eric, and full of enthusiasm and encouragment. We talked a bit
about the New York B I have over here that I am planning on doing with
the help of those Ronsens we've talked about.  Been really busy so I
think its going to have to wait until the after the new year.  But he
encouraged me to go ahead with the project and rely heavily on your
advices.  So... grin.  I'm game to be sure!

Cheers
RicB

Dale wrote:
Ric
  Eric is a personal friend & fine Human being . I have made  similar
assertions on many occasion to this effect on list.  Eric  & I  have
hashed over
voicing techniques  for many years on  many occasions & on all these
salient
points we agree. It's nice to have  ones own opinions re-enforced by your
associates.
   That being said I've heard finely voiced Hamburgs as well  & enjoyed
then
too. The only problem is usually the needling has not  gone far enough &
the
under lying  core remains too stiff    & the edgy sound rears its' ugly
head.
When this is tamed the sound can  be truly lush.
  Dale