Pinblock Problem

pcpoulso@pacbell.net pcpoulso@pacbell.net
Wed, 19 Oct 2005 18:43:00 -0700

Good Morning All: I examined a Baldwin grand that has an unusual =
pinblock problem, one which I have not encountered before. The piano had =
recently been shipped out here to California from South Dakota. When I =
tried to pull the action it got hung up on something on the bass end. =
Upon examination I found that the drop screws in the last octave where =
scraping against the bottom of the pinblock.  I was able to reach down =
with a long screwdriver and lower the screws enough to allow the action =
to come out. I could then see that the extreme left side of the pinblock =
had moved downward in that area by about 1/16" or so, just enough to =
take up the usual gap between the screws and the bottom of the pinblock. =
There didn't seem to be any delamination in the layers of the block, and =
this also seemed to be a recent condition, as the scrape marks from my =
first attempts to remove the action were fresh and apparently the only =
ones that had been made. Someone in the past had replaced some hammers =
in the bass section, so I know that the action had been removed before. =
I tightened up the plate bolts in that region, which had no affect. =
Anyone ever had this problem, and do you have a good fix? I am thinking =
of using a pinblock support to try to press the low section back in =
place, and then retightening the plate bolts. If that doesn't work, then =
what? Use a grinder to remove the excess material? And what could have =
caused this to happen anyway?
Thanks,=20
Patrick C. Poulson
Registered Piano Technician