Pinblock Problem

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Wed, 19 Oct 2005 20:39:28 -0500

Or, as I have run into TWICE, did some idiot replace the block with a
too-thick slab?

I had one where there almost an inch of unused wood BELOW the bottom of the
tuning pins. I was only able to remove the action with very, very carefully
lifting and pulling, much scraping of screws on the block, and, sadly, one
broken hammer shank. I told the customer the board needed sanding or
planing but he relocating soon and didn't "want to fool with it now." I
fixed the shank, gratis, made a few minor repairs, replaced the action VERY
carefully (hate to think of the long-term life of those drop screws and
hammer flanges), and tuned it.

I'm not often glad to have a piano move from my area, but in this case,
Adios!, it was a piece of crap, anyway, a tiny little stencil.

Anyone in Memphis, TN on line here? You may inherit this jewel. The people
are very nice, however, there name is Arflack (don't use the "quack quack"
joke, they've heard it plenty of times)

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri