Remedial string leveling

Barbara Richmond piano57@insightbb.com
Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:54:04 -0500

I'll second that!

Barbara Richmond

PS  Dale, at first I thought you couldn't visualize my standing on the =
keybed (not).   Today I received an anonymous email stating that the =
real way to get leverage is to sit on the lid and brace one's feet on =
the stretcher...   ;-)
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 9:33 AM
  Subject: Re: Remedial string leveling

       Hi Ed=20
     I can't visualize this. Maybe it's to early . How about a picture =
or remedial tutoring?
     Dale
    Greetings,=20
          Maybe I missed it being mentioned, but the Steinway factory =
techs used=20
    a monkey spring with a notch cut above the right angle.  This is =
placed upon=20
    the agraffe with the right-angle under the string.  With a very =
slight=20
    levering, a string can be straightened coming out of the agraffe or =
even slightly bent=20
    above the agraffe's hole.=20
          I have done all my string leveling on agraffe-held strings =
with this=20
    tool for many years and never had a problem.  Very rarely do I find =
an unlevel=20
    string in the capo section, but when I do, a small , filed down =
string hook is=20
    a very simple way to deal with them.=20
    Regards,=20

    Ed Foote RPT