Remedial string leveling

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 19 Oct 2005 10:33:59 EDT

Hi Ed
   I can't visualize this. Maybe it's to early . How  about a picture or
remedial tutoring?
   Dale

Greetings,
Maybe I missed it being mentioned,  but the Steinway factory techs used
a monkey spring with a notch cut above  the right angle.  This is placed upon
the agraffe with the  right-angle under the string.  With a very slight
levering, a string  can be straightened coming out of the agraffe or even
slightly bent
above  the agraffe's hole.
I have done all my string  leveling on agraffe-held strings with this
tool for many years and never  had a problem.  Very rarely do I find an
unlevel
string in the capo  section, but when I do, a small , filed down string hook
is
a very simple  way to deal with them.
Regards,

Ed Foote  RPT

Erwins Pianos  Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Ca 95357
209-577-8397
Rebuilt  Steinway , Mason &Hamlin  Sales
www.Erwinspiano.com