Rebuild Project - suggestions?

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Thu, 13 Oct 2005 07:59:06 -0700

Not sure what you mean.  I do insert new pins.  But only after sanding the
bridge flat and renotching which gives a much better result, looks better
too.   If you swab the holes with epoxy first you can redrill with the bit
size for the original size pins (not the original pins themselves).  There
is no need to go up in size unless, of course, the size was inadequate to
begin with--which it sometimes is.  Nothing smaller than 7's in the treble,
8's in the tenor, 9's for the bichords and 10's for the mono's is my
preference.

More and more I am recapping the capo section as a standard procedure.
Prior to sanding the tenor and bass bridge flat, I clean off the old dag
with denatured alcohol and a rag.  Then, when you sand the bridge top, you
get down to that really nice looking aged maple.  When the whole thing is
done I shoot the bridge, cap and all, with a light coat of lacquer and just
leave the wood to show--no dag, no filing pins flat.  Looks great, works
great.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Greg Newell
Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2005 7:44 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: RE: Rebuild Project - suggestions?

David,
         One question. Why? New pins accomplish the same thing with a lot
less hassle and they look better. Pulling old pins never seems to be a
problem around here. They generally come out quite easily without chipping
the cap at all. When the occasional one is tight and comes out badly I will
effect the repair as you've described but still with a new pin which then
provides a new pin surface for the string to ride against.

Greg Newell

At 10:57 PM 10/12/2005, you wrote:
>I prefer to pull the old pins, if you don't need to recap then sand the
>bridge flat (to the bottom of the old grooves), renotch, paint on a layer
of
>very low viscosity epoxy and swab the old holes at the same time.  When
>cured, sand the top down flat again to smooth out the epoxy coating,
redrill
>the old holes using the appropriate drill for the original size pin (the
>epoxy coating allows you to do this without chipping out the cap), renotch
>and repin securing the pins with epoxy or CA, your choice.  Clean up the
>agraffes and capo bar and those terminations really terminate.
>
>David Love
>davidlovepianos@comcast.net

Behalf